Herbology Room in Progress

Herbology Room in Progress

Sunday, October 12, 2014

I love this crazy, flawed, one legged doll.  She was part of a lot eBay.  She was crammed down in the corner of a box, looking up at me with her big wide eyes when I found her there.

She has been sitting in the Judge & Gibbet attic for years along with other pieces that have no place.  But during a recent trip to Seattle, it hit me.  This fine little lady would make a wonderful fortune teller in a box!  Instead of working on a room this winter, I am going to devote my time to making a wonderful cabinet for her along with a slot for coins and a place for the fortune to come out.  I know it will not be the same, (and I would not want it to) but below is an example of what I am going for.

She will be a perfect addition to the bar when she is finished.  Maybe she will inspire me to actually get to work on that room!

I think I will start with 3- windowed doors and a solid back and see what I can do.  Wish me luck!

Sunday, August 17, 2014

I have been so busy that my poor house has been gathering dust. Finally this weekend, I had time to add lights to the witch's herbology room.  I also received a lovely copy of Dollhouse Miniatures which featured my witch's laboratory in the Sept-Oct issue. They were lovely to work with.

As for my current room, which is right next to the lab, I still have LOADS of work to do and many, many little bottles to fill and books to bind.  But here is an update.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying a great summer!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

I have been working on the young witch's herbology/ potion room and having a great time abusing the wallpaper and ceiling.  I started with a normal damask and used a fine grade sandpaper to take off the sheen. Next, I created rips and tears and tea stained the exposed white areas.

Under the wallpaper is a dark cement like wall. I tried my hand at staining it and marking it up a bit. I think I could go a little further, but don't want to over do it.

I purchased some white, unfinished skulls from a seller on etsy and were very happy with them.  I used dark wood stain and the primer and then went over each skull with diluted white paint. For the exceptionally low price, I think I may add a few more.

I am now about 1/3 finished with the room and have loads of trim and details to add.  Here is a shot of where I am. Regretfully, a flashlight and an iPhone do not make for a spooky mood. I can't wait to put in the lights!

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A few more things that need to be finished, fixed and hidden, but here are a few non-fancy shots of where I am now.  Danny will be taking nice photos for me this weekend after I am ready to step back and stop switching things around.

Monday, May 26, 2014

I think I may be losing my mind.  Two nights ago after doing the dishes, I noticed a mangled mushroom in the drainer.  It looked just like a little pile of guts.  I was elated and moved it to a dish and squirted it with a little color. (Red ink and yellow food color)  I let it dry out a little and then placed it in a bucket.  I sealed it in with resin, making sure it was a very tight seal. Voila, bucket of guts.

Minis make me crazy, but also keep me sane. That makes sense when you think about it.  When stress hits, nothing clears your mind like trying to figure out a certain look or texture.

Hopefully, the brown glass jug under the sink looks like it is covered with a fine layer of mold.  To create that look, I rubbed a little E6000 on my fingers and then lightly over the jar.  I ran to my dryer, cleaned the vent and pinched off a little piece. I rubbed it over the jar and then brushed off the excess.

To make the snails, I used a few shells I had left over from a seashell display.  I made little "feet" out of Fimo, and after inserting them into the shell, rubbed the bottom over some E6000 and placed them in the jar.

The greenery in the jar of pond leeches was made from the inside string of a cantaloupe, soaked in green food color.  Again, when I use organic matter, I always make sure my resin seal is tight!

This weekend I also hung a couple of photos I found on a site devoted to Victorian post mortem photography. I found them both lovely and sad.  It is chilling when you realize that only one of the girls in each photo is alive.

I guess I really don't mind being crazy.  It is fun.