I have been working on the young witch's herbology/ potion room and having a great time abusing the wallpaper and ceiling. I started with a normal damask and used a fine grade sandpaper to take off the sheen. Next, I created rips and tears and tea stained the exposed white areas.
Under the wallpaper is a dark cement like wall. I tried my hand at staining it and marking it up a bit. I think I could go a little further, but don't want to over do it.
I purchased some white, unfinished skulls from a seller on etsy and were very happy with them. I used dark wood stain and the primer and then went over each skull with diluted white paint. For the exceptionally low price, I think I may add a few more.
I am now about 1/3 finished with the room and have loads of trim and details to add. Here is a shot of where I am. Regretfully, a flashlight and an iPhone do not make for a spooky mood. I can't wait to put in the lights!