Herbology Room in Progress

Herbology Room in Progress

Monday, May 26, 2014

I think I may be losing my mind.  Two nights ago after doing the dishes, I noticed a mangled mushroom in the drainer.  It looked just like a little pile of guts.  I was elated and moved it to a dish and squirted it with a little color. (Red ink and yellow food color)  I let it dry out a little and then placed it in a bucket.  I sealed it in with resin, making sure it was a very tight seal. Voila, bucket of guts.

Minis make me crazy, but also keep me sane. That makes sense when you think about it.  When stress hits, nothing clears your mind like trying to figure out a certain look or texture.

Hopefully, the brown glass jug under the sink looks like it is covered with a fine layer of mold.  To create that look, I rubbed a little E6000 on my fingers and then lightly over the jar.  I ran to my dryer, cleaned the vent and pinched off a little piece. I rubbed it over the jar and then brushed off the excess.

To make the snails, I used a few shells I had left over from a seashell display.  I made little "feet" out of Fimo, and after inserting them into the shell, rubbed the bottom over some E6000 and placed them in the jar.

The greenery in the jar of pond leeches was made from the inside string of a cantaloupe, soaked in green food color.  Again, when I use organic matter, I always make sure my resin seal is tight!

This weekend I also hung a couple of photos I found on a site devoted to Victorian post mortem photography. I found them both lovely and sad.  It is chilling when you realize that only one of the girls in each photo is alive.

I guess I really don't mind being crazy.  It is fun.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Let there be light.

No baseboards, lots of finishing work to do, wires to hide and loads of bottles to fill. But thank goodness I have light!
During my never ending quest to save money, I found these bottles while wandering around Dollar Tree. They were in the nail section, filled with glitter.  I painted the plastic lids a rough silver, filled them with household goo, aged them up and voila, six bottles for the shelf for under $2.00. Saving money on miniatures makes me giddy because it means more savings for the "fun" stuff I can't make myself.

A few weeks ago, I purchased an empty cabinet on eBay and wondered why it was so inexpensive.  For the first time in a while, I had forgotten to check the scale.  When it arrived, I was disappointed that it was so small. But I used some small bottles that I had been saving and filled them with everything from dead bugs to Dawn dish soap and voila, I now have a little potion cabinet.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

I sure have been bad about keeping up my blog, but I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on my new little house.  Here are a couple of photos of what I have been working on.  The butterfly display was a lot of fun and I am still tinkering with my leeches. Every day I seem to switch something around.  I am about 50% finished with this room, and I have no idea what it is going to look like when it is finished. I wish I was a better planner, but I never seem to know where I am going with anything in advance.